Water dispensers are a common fixture in offices and homes alike. These machines provide a convenient and accessible source of filtered drinking water for everyone. However, something that often gets overlooked when it comes to water dispensers is the potential for mould growth. Mould on a water dispenser can be harmful to the health of those who consume the water, and it can also do some damage to the water dispenser itself. Today we’ll be exploring what happens if there’s mould on your water dispenser and what steps you can take to prevent it from happening in the first place.
The danger of mould
First off, let’s clarify what mould is and why it’s a concern. Mould is a type of fungus that can grow on organic materials in damp conditions. When it comes in contact with moisture, it can spread quickly and release spores into the air. These spores can cause a range of health problems, from allergies and asthma to more severe respiratory illnesses. Mould can also damage the surfaces it grows on, including the water dispenser. If left unchecked, mould can affect the taste and smell of the water, as well as cause corrosion inside the machine.
So, what happens if you find mould on your water dispenser?
The first thing you should do is stop using it immediately. You’ll want to clean and disinfect the machine thoroughly before using it again. This will involve removing all of the components that come into contact with the water, such as the reservoir and spigots, and washing them with hot soapy water. Next, use a disinfectant to kill any remaining mould spores. Be sure to read the instructions on the disinfectant carefully and follow the recommended dilution and contact time. Once you’ve cleaned the machine, you’ll want to leave it to dry out completely before using it again. This will help prevent any remaining mould spores from growing back.
Preventing future growth
The key is to keep the machine dry and clean. Make sure to empty and refill the reservoir often, at least once a week. This will prevent any standing water from becoming a breeding ground for mold. You can also use a vinegar solution to clean the machine on a regular basis. Simply mix equal parts water and white vinegar and use a sponge or cloth to wipe down the surfaces. This will help prevent the growth of mould and keep your water dispenser in good condition.
It’s also important to note that the quality of the water you use can affect the likelihood of mould growth. If your water dispenser is connected to a mains source, it may contain contaminants that promote mould growth. The best way to negate this is to invest in a water dispenser that includes a filtration system. This will ensure that the water that comes out of the machine is clean and free of contaminants that can promote mould growth.
In conclusion, mould growth on a water dispenser can be a serious issue. It can affect the health of those who consume the water and damage the machine itself. If you do find mould on your water dispenser, it’s important to stop using it immediately and clean it thoroughly. To prevent mould growth from happening in the first place, make sure to keep the machine dry and clean, and consider using filtered water. By following these simple steps, you can keep your water dispenser in good condition and ensure that the water you drink is clean and safe.
At Aquacool, all of our water dispenser rental contracts come with free servicing and maintenance so you never have to worry about mould being an issue on your machine. To chat to one of our team members about what offers we have running call us on 0800 634 5678.