Why is drinking water so important?
Whilst we all hear the message that we need to drink plenty of water every day, the reasons why aren’t shouted about quite so loud!
Here are 8 great reasons why you should keep those hydration levels topped up on a daily basis:
- As 60-80% of the human body is made up of water, making sure you stay fully hydrated is crucial in ensuring your body is functioning optimally.
- Not only does keeping your fluid levels topped up help to maintain your body’s temperature, drinking ice cold water is proven to help speed up your metabolism – making it a really easy way to increase your daily calorie burn!
- When you’re feeling dehydrated, the first way your body signals this is through headaches. Drinking plenty of water will help keep those headaches at bay and help you feel great!
- Water is proven to improve skin elasticity, meaning it helps to keep your skin looking smooth and reduces the chances of having stretch marks & creases.
- Does sitting at your desk all day cause your feet and ankles to swell? This isn’t only a problem for pregnant women, but for anyone sitting for long periods of time. Drinking water helps with your circulation and keeps everything moving round your body as it should.
- Water normalises digestion – all the processes that your body undertakes to complete digestion cannot be done without water.
- It can help with allergies and asthma – When dehydrated, airways are restricted by the body in an effort to minimize water loss, making allergy and asthma symptoms much worse.
- Researchhas shown that even mild dehydration may impair memory and mood in everyone from children to the elderly. Hydration impacts the brain, as well as the body, and research has shown that even mild dehydration may have a negative impact on moods and may heighten anxiety.
These are just 8 of the many reasons why we should make sure we’re getting enough water! Making simple changes to ensure you’re hydrated can have a huge impact on your day to day life.